Dwight Mission, located on Sallisaw Creek in Vian, Oklahoma, was built in Arkansas Territory for the Old Settler Cherokees in 1820. When the Old Settlers moved to Indian Territory in 1828, it was rebuilt within their new tribal boundaries.
The Mission opened in May 1829 and the Mission school started taking students in May 1830.
Named in honor of the Reverend Timothy Dwight of Yale University, Dwight Mission was the first school in the State of Oklahoma.
The school closed in 1948, and in 1950 the property was purchased by the Presbyterian Church USA.
At the end of the twentieth century, the Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery continued to maintain the facility as a retreat and conference center.
RR 2 Box 71Vian, OK 74962